Friday, August 21, 2015

Gye Nyame

Meaning: "Except God"



Symbol of the omnipotence and the omnipresence of God. (Fear no one, except God.)

From the Akan aphorism "Abode santann yi firi tete; obi nte ase a onim ne ahyease, na obi ntena ase nkosi ne awie, gye Nyame."

Literal translation: "This great panorama of creation dates back to time immemorial; no one lives who saw its beginning and no one will live to see its end, except God."

The symbol reflects the Akan belief of a supreme being, the creator who they refer to by various names, e.g., Oboadee, Nyame, Onyankopon Twereampon."

I have always believed in a higher power... But I also believe that we as a people are Gods, that God is really all in me, and in all of you. God lives in all of us, and we have our own free will to shape our universe. God is also in every other living thing, and transcends space and time. I guess this would technically categorize me as a "panentheist" for those who need to understand where I'm coming from (yes, #panentheist, not #pantheist. Google is your friend lol). Additionally, our bodies reflect the composition of the universe. We have different elements within us that are also found in space, as well as in the Earth.

I grew up Catholic, but now I do not associate with any religion, nor do I necessarily believe in a "messiah". We are our own messiahs; we have the power to save ourselves and the Black family. I also say that The Black Woman is God, because she/we were the Original beings who cultivated life. The Black Man is God because he planted the seed in the Black woman, in order to help create the human race.
I do not agree with "fearing" God; I believe that we should understand that the Higher Power is capable of acts beyond our comprehension and all we can do is honor and respect that Power. We should learn how to leave self control and compassion, empathy, and goodwill towards each other, so that the God above/in the universe as well as the God within us can achieve satisfaction and continue to tap into the higher consciousness we all have.

No comments:

Post a Comment